Zocor Lawsuit Attorneys
Zocor, whose generic name is simvastatin, is prescribed for people whose LDL (bad) cholesterol or triglyceride levels are too high. It is meant to be used along with weight loss, change in diet, and exercise to control these levels.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a warning that taking Zocor at 80 mg doses may increase the risk of certain muscle conditions, the most extreme of which, Rhabdomyolysis, can cause kidney failure.
If you or a loved one is taking 80 mg of Zocor and is experiencing muscle problems:
Call our Zocor lawyers at 1-888-554-2889. We offer:
- A free, no-obligation Zocor lawsuit case evaluation
- No fee unless we win your case
- Flexible appointments with a Zocor attorney
- Helping victims with Zocor Rhabdomyolysis claims Nationwide
Zocor is Frequently Prescribed
This medication belongs to a drug class that is commonly known as statins. A statin lowers the amount of cholesterol in the body so that it won’t buildup along artery walls, blocking the flow of blood to the heart and the brain. If these organs don’t receive the proper amount of blood, it could cause a heart attack or a stroke.
Cholesterol is produced by the liver. There is a specific enzyme in the liver that is responsible for the creation of cholesterol. Statins block that enzyme so that cholesterol production is slowed down and the overall level of cholesterol in the body decreases.
Not all Statins are the Same
Although all stains lower cholesterol levels, there are still some important differences among the various drugs in this class. One of the differences is how effective they are. Zocor is a very powerful drug that is able to decrease LDL cholesterol levels by as much as 50 percent. It is prescribed in doses ranging from 5 mg to 80 mg.
Another important difference is how each statin interacts with other drugs. Many people who take Zocor also take other drugs to treat other medical conditions. It has been shown that certain drugs raise the level of Zocor in the body by slowing down the body’s ability to metabolize Zocor and eliminate it. If the drug isn’t eliminated as it should be, each time another dose is taken it adds to the buildup of the drug that is already in the body. This can increase the risk for developing side effects.
Zocor Rhabdomyolysis Side Effects
Two of the most severe side effects caused by Zocor are:
- Myopathy- This is a condition in which the fibers within the muscles don’t work as they should and this causes muscle weakness.
- Rhabdomyolysis – This is the most severe form of myopathy. In this condition, muscle tissue starts to quickly break down, releasing certain substances into the blood stream. One of these substances, a protein called myoglobin is harmful to kidneys and it can cause kidney failure.
Developing these aide effects is what doctors call dose-dependent, meaning they occur when the drug is taken at higher dosages. In the case of Zocor, these side effects happen most frequently when the drug is taken at the 80 mg dose.
FDA Warning about Zocor at the 80 mg Dose
On June 8, 2011, the FDA issued a statement that said:
- Doctors should limit the use of the 80 mg dose of simvastatin because of the increased risk of muscle damage. This dose level should only be used by people who have been taking it for 12 months or more and who show no signs of muscle damage. That’s because the risk for developing muscle weakness while taking this drug is highest during the first year of treatment.
- Doctors should not prescribe the 80 mg dose for new patients or for patients already taken lower doses of simvastatin.
- The agency is changing the simvastatin label to add the warning that it should not be used with certain other medications and that certain dose levels should not be used with certain medications.
Contact an Experienced Zocor Lawsuit Attorney
Each Zocor lawsuit attorney at our firm has years of experience in dangerous drug litigation. If you took Zocor and subsequently suffered from Rhabdomyolysis, your illness may be linked to this dangerous drug. Contact us today for a free consultation with an experienced Zocor lawsuit attorney.